There are so many aspects of Catholicism that I could write about, but this blog's focus is on family traditions. Do you have one that you'd like to share? A Catholic custom or a family recipe relating to a Feast day or holy day? I'd love to hear about it. Please drop me a line and share the way your family celebrates your Catholic heritage.


Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May Altar


My husband was very surprised to learn that I was completely unfamiliar with the tradition of making a May Altar in your home. He attended a Catholic school up until the 4th grade, while I was in for the long haul (through high school).  Apparently, he had a much more traditional school than I did.  ("No, we had plenty of felt banners and guitars, too.") 

Anyway, we've made a May Altar in a corner of our living room for a few years now, and it just wouldn't feel like Spring without it to me now.  Our family says prayers together every evening before bedtime, at our little 'prayer altar' (also known as a small bookshelf).  What a beautiful time of year to shift focus to Mary, and a more formalized altar.  This year, we're opting to say the Rosary every evening, but it was great to simply say an extra Hail Mary when the kids were younger.  We honor her as the mother of God, and the mother of us all.

For some nice ideas on making your own May Altar, take a look here:  http://catholicicing.blogspot.com/2010/04/may-altar-for-mary.html

No comments:

Post a Comment