There are so many aspects of Catholicism that I could write about, but this blog's focus is on family traditions. Do you have one that you'd like to share? A Catholic custom or a family recipe relating to a Feast day or holy day? I'd love to hear about it. Please drop me a line and share the way your family celebrates your Catholic heritage.


Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mysteries of the Rosary

Since we're praying the rosary daily in the month of May, I thought I'd share a link to some beautiful reflections on the mysteries of the rosary, written in the 'voice' of Mary.  These are so much deeper and more meaningful than the typical 2-3 sentences found in most "How to Pray the Rosary" pamphlets that we're all familiar with.

Here's the text for the first joyful mystery --

The Annunciation of the Lord to Mary
1st Joyful Mystery
I was in prayer: it was evening. I was praying towards Jerusalem because my people prayed three times a day, morning, noon, and evening facing Jerusalem. I was praying for the Liberation of my people. I was praying that soon the Messiah would come to take away all hatred: to take away all sins from my people. As I was praying, there suddenly appeared an angel. At first I was afraid because it was the first time an angel had ever come to me. When I heard him say "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you" I was very confused at this greeting and yet I was very humbled that an angel would call me full of grace: that I had gained favor from God: that I was called to bear His Son. I asked the angel how this could happen? I am a virgin: I had intended to be a virgin the rest of my life even though I agreed to live with Joseph. The angel assured me, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you: the shadow of the Most High will enwrap you and the child to be born of you will be called Son of God." At that instance, I remembered the prophesy of Isaiah. The prophesy of the Messiah. The prophesy that He would be a suffering servant. A servant rejected by His own people and yet raised by God. Knowing that, I said, "Behold the handmaid, the servant of the Lord: be it done to me according to Your word."

My children, be always open to seek the will of God in your life no matter what it is. Never be afraid of God's will. God's will always does contain suffering but God's will also brings peace. God's will contains Joy. Pray to the Heavenly Father: pray that He will give you the grace through my prayers to accept His will in all things. Place yourself at God's disposal and He will do great things for you and with you.

Read the complete rosary reflections here:

http://www.catholic.org/prayers/mystery.php

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete