There are so many aspects of Catholicism that I could write about, but this blog's focus is on family traditions. Do you have one that you'd like to share? A Catholic custom or a family recipe relating to a Feast day or holy day? I'd love to hear about it. Please drop me a line and share the way your family celebrates your Catholic heritage.


Monday, May 30, 2011

Saint Joan of Arc - May 30

St. Joan of Arc – May 30
b.1412 – d.1431

Most of us know very little about the Maid of Orleans, except that she led an army and was burnt at the stake.  Although she died nearly 600 years ago, her public life is remarkably well-documented.  You can find a very complete history with quotes, images, maps, etc.  here.  If that's too much information, there have been many films made about her life -- some good, some less so.  Although I have yet to see it, many consider La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc, a silent film from 1928, to be a masterpiece. 

She's a fascinating character -- it's almost impossible to compare her to anyone else in history.  She's been portrayed as divine, insane, a tool of war, and a simple child.  Like us, though, she was a real person with many facets.  I suspect she'd be pleased to be remembered as she was -- an obedient servant who held her faith above all else, without fear of the consequences.  

Prayer to St Joan for Faith

In the face of your enemies, in the face of harassment, ridicule and doubt, you held firm in your faith. Even in your abandonment, alone and without friends, you held firm in your faith. Even as you faced your own mortality, you held firm in your faith. I pray that I may be as bold in my beliefs as you, Saint Joan. I ask that you ride alongside me in my own battles. Help me be mindful that what is worthwhile can be won when I persist. Help me hold firm in my faith. Help me believe in my ability to act well and wisely.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment