There are so many aspects of Catholicism that I could write about, but this blog's focus is on family traditions. Do you have one that you'd like to share? A Catholic custom or a family recipe relating to a Feast day or holy day? I'd love to hear about it. Please drop me a line and share the way your family celebrates your Catholic heritage.


Friday, May 13, 2011

Thomas Merton's Prayer

I recently heard this for the first time, and think that it's wonderful.  To me, it's one of those, "Now, how did he read my mind?" prayers. I love its simplicity and honesty.  Although I think it applies to all of us, right now I'm thinking about all those graduating in the days ahead.  None of us is ever really 100% certain of where we're going, and we're often uncomfortable with admitting that to others.  I believe that God wants us to ask for help, though. He is our loving father, and leads us to what's best if we simply allow Him to show us the way.  I hope and pray that our young people remain comfortable in asking for His guidance and direction in their lives.   

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

- Thomas Merton, "Thoughts in Solitude"


No comments:

Post a Comment